Hello fellow Wharram builders/sailors,
I want to purchase a set (main and jib) of Tiki 21 sails.
After reading through several threads (Tiki 26 sails options, Tiki main sail reefing) and corresponding with Rory about the topic I am still not ready for "the final call" at the sailmaker.
So maybe you could answer some of my questions:
1. Is the sail area suggested in the sail plan appropriate for sailing in light winds?
2. How many reefs? Rory suggests 3 for the main and 2 for the jib.
3. Reefed sail area? Rory suggests 1/4 of sail area for each reef of the main. No input for jib/storm jib so far.
4. Reefing system (see http://www.wharram.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=158). Any easy/practical method?
5. Rory suggests a curved main leech and 3 leech battens between the reef points. Any experience?
6. Should the jib also have a curved leech/foot of sail?
7. Pro's and con's of a zipper at the main luff? (No mast lowering for cleaning/repairs vs. cost/air flow/vulnerability)
8. What cloth for cruising under all circumstances? Rory suggests 6.5 oz. Which Material? UV resistance?
9. Any advantages/disadvantages of white or brown sail colour?
10. Which sailmaker? Jekell's for experience with Tiki sails? Rolly Tasker for the price (yes I am short on money)? Or should I just go with my local sailmaker? I am a little afraid to purchase from a maker that has no experience with the special design of Tiki wing sails.
Or maybe anybody has a spare set of (used) Tiki 21 sails for sale? Could be a good start for getting my own experience.
Thanks in advance!